Sunday 9 October 2011

Manchester Book Fair : Ideas & Content

The Manchester Book Fair 2011 is fast approaching and so I need to get a move on with what I'm going to sell there. Earlier this year I really enjoyed designing the Futura Newspaper for the equivalent Leeds fair and I sold 7/10 of the copies which was great. 
As a result, I really want to do something similar for this although obviously not repeat myself but seeing as this brief isn't one of my 'core' briefs, I think it's a chance to have some fun whilst producing a nice piece of print that can show off some of my layout, editorial, type and print skills in one go and i'll have something nice to take along to studio visits in a practical and physical format.

I already decided that I'd like to base it on the Orator Std font - which is probably my favourite. It'll also genuinely be interesting to find out some more about it's history.



Here's some content for the Orator newspaper ~ It's just bits and pieces I've found from searching around on the internet. Although the font is a regular in today's font libraries, there isn't an awful lot written about it unlike the previous Futura Newspaper I did before. However, it was more prominent in the 60's where it was used in the famous (apparently) IBM typewriters and there is plenty that has been written about that. Either way, although the content obviously needs to be fairly strong in order for  people to buy it, the newspaper is more design driven and focussed around creative layout using the font rather than a historical chapter on the typeface.


No comments:

Post a Comment