Thursday 5 May 2011

Product/Range/Distribution

Rationale

As the bulk of this project is essentially self initiated I am keen to ensure what I produce is an accurate reflection of my overall design practice. In terms of subject I was in two minds as to whether I should produce work based around themes similar to what I have worked on previously or if I should test myself with something completely new. The length of time available to us on this brief is fairly short and so I am tempted to go with themes that I'm already comfortable with and after-all, this brief is meant to be about us doing what interests ourselves.
I'm definitely looking to produce work that has multiple printed resolutions, with the aim of creating an identity that promotes and informs the audience. I feel that working with these issues in mind will allow me to represent my interests in a professional and commercial manner. Much of my recent work has been quite heavily type based (which I have enjoyed) but, I'm eager to look into how I can bring this together with a design direction that involves more image making.


Statement of Intent

In order to fulfil my rationale I intend to produce a printed visual identity for the city of Leeds. It will comprise of a series of connected posters featuring artwork which can be applied across several different printed elements.
I want it to have an almost raw, independent style that has the ability to really communicate the 'feel' of the city. The design work would feature bold colour as well as perhaps 'found type' from around the urban environment as well as abstracted architectural forms from in and around the Leeds cityscape.
The central part of the resolution would be the connected poster series which I'm currently planning to be large scale (A1?), placed around the city and documented photographically. Sections of the artwork could then be divided up and used on the back of public transport tickets or even upscaled to form large visuals/banners to fill areas in public places (large window spaces etc).
I really want my range of resolutions to communicate an authentic representation of Leeds to it's visitors whilst providing residents with an aesthetic identity based on the city that they can recognise and identify with.


Research

Primary - photographs / walking around the city / observing spaces that could provide context for my work / asking people for their ideas of the identity of Leeds- any preconceived ideas?

Secondary - Collecting Leeds branded material / Leeds city council promotional material / collecting printed media/posters from around the city.


Practical Development

Software development - Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign.

Printing methods - Digital printing, Screen-printing, double sided, embossing, foiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment