Tuesday 10 May 2011

Leeds Identity - creative block breakthrough!

Okay, so far during this project I hadn't felt anything towards what I was designing...

... I was pleased with the brief I had set myself as well as the subject but, mainly I was just really struggling to visualise my ideas.

This project is our first chance to really do what we want to do. It should be fun, but I wasn't having fun. I was quickly getting frustrated at not being able to get my ideas out of my head and onto the page. I realised a few things had combined to cause this. First of all we hadn't actually done much design work over the past few weeks - only a couple of things over Easter, and since then my time has been mainly dominated by PPD & Enterprise. This had kind of knocked me out of my stride in terms of how I was approaching briefs. For example so far during this current brief I had started my design process on screen by creating vector artwork - I never normally do this?! Why was I doing it? I have no idea....

...Anyway, earlier today I remembered back to what I have done previously in situations similar to this - get back to basics. Start drawing. Pen on paper etc.

Recently, much of my work had been heavily type based and I knew I wanted to take this and combine it with more of my image making skills. This was still difficult as I hadn't really decided on the precise content for my posters.
After a visit to the library I thought about how I could merge my type and image skills by looking into hand-rendered, illustrative typography. I took out a book based specifically upon this subject and instantly found some inspiration.
Through some internet research I then discovered a blogger for the Guardian newspaper who writes specifically about Leeds and from his articles, polls and questionnaires, I dissected a few quotes to test out in hand illustrated type. (the results of which will follow)
I then plan to mix the type work with more pure illustration, perhaps loosely based on some of the vector work and photographs i'd already been producing and working from. All of which would then be laid out onto my poster series to be screen printed. I had been convinced to turn to digital print a few days ago as people suggested it would be much quicker but since then I've found time slots difficult to book and besides - I'm going to screen print because that's what I wanted to do anyway and it'll be fun.

Im going to try and keep in mind now that this project is about doing what I want and having fun - so surely I must be on the right track now?

It feels like I am anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment