Tuesday 12 April 2011

Raw Type - Uppercase




Okay so here is the uppercase for my typeface. It's been produced quite quickly but I think it's working well so far. Perhaps having a short amount of time has been beneficial leading me to just get it done instead of labouring over decisions for endless amounts of time. I like the fact that it's looking quirky and contemporary. I still need to decide on whether to do a lowercase as well - it wouldn't take too long to make but I'm not sure this style would lend itself to easily to a lowercase version - guess i'll just have to try it and see...
I have also yet to produce numbers and a few glyphs and I need  to start looking into colours and layout for the final poster I submit to Raw.




I had a thought about giving a name to the typeface - I'd like to call it 'Alcazar' - as the Real Alcazar Palace in Seville is where I took the image of the geometric patterned tiles that have inspired the design and I think it sounds pretty good too!
I'm going to start playing around with colours, particularly looking at shades/tones and hues within the original photograph (above) as it would be nice to bring back another influence from where the letterforms originated.

2 comments:

  1. Helloooo!
    Just a little bit of feedback! Really liking this typeface, it seems very useable and clear to read with is great.
    I'm unsure about two of the letters- the E and J- I think because of the extra line under the middle part of the E it's maybe confusable with a G?
    And for the J, would it work without the very last curvy bit on the bottom of the descender?
    Other than that I think it's looking brilliant, I like the way you've been able to lay them out as a whole alphabet, and I'm very fond of the name too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the feedback, much apreciated :-)

    I know exactly what you mean in regards to the letter E - I had thought the same, it just depends whether I can be bothered to go back and do a different one haha

    I think I'll get all the glyphs and numbers done and then go back and revisit any problem letters if I have time. I'm still torn as to whether I should do a lowercase as well.

    I wish I had more time on this as Im enjoying the brief a lot now i've got into it.

    ReplyDelete