Monday 11 April 2011

Raw - Typeface Concept

After my trip to Seville last week I was really keen to use photographs I had taken there as a base for my typeface. Whatever I develop has to be connected to one of the given topics, (Time, Sound, Photography, Light) and so this idea sits easily with the photography topic. 
In the city, there was a vast array of beautiful ceramic tiles and the image below is one of a striking, geometric, Islamic-influenced design I saw within the Real Alcazar palace.


Below I have printed out large versions of the above image from which I aim to deconstruct letterforms from out of the pattern. Even though the tiles are old, they still look contemporary today due to the geometric forms and bold, flat colour. I hoping that this will enable me to create a versatile typeface that could look traditional and modern depending on how it is used. Furthermore, the colours that have been used is something I may well come back to when thinking about how I finally present the finished design as they work really well together and would carry a hint of where the typeface originated from.




The abundance of lines/shapes and angles should mean it's not too challenging to pick out letterforms from... I hope. Okay, so the concept is about there, I think i'd better get on with it now. Development coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment